Thursday, April 22, 2010

Weight Loss Seminar

So it’s been a little bit since I updated. The hospital called me for a WLS Seminar that all TRICARE patients have to take when being considered for WLS. On April 21st, 2010 I attended the Seminar. When I got there they took my height and weight information. They used the special scale that calculates your BMI, weight, fat mass, etc. I’m still very uncomfortable about doing this, and I wish the numbers on the paper were just a lot lower. I think I’m coming to terms with it more and more everyday though.

Honestly, the numbers don’t bother me as much as the health and appearance. If I was healthy and looked amazing, I wouldn’t care that I weighed 250 pounds. But alas, numbers play a huge role in all of this.

During the class they covered the three kinds of weight loss surgeries they do at the hospital. The three were Lap-Band, gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve. After all of the information I was defiantly set on the Lap-Band. It’s the least invasive and safest WLS to have. Different people are good for different surgeries for different reasons.

They also held a nutrition class after the surgeon was done talking. It was pretty much what to expect for your pre-op diet and what to expect post op. It was really informative thankfully. After the class was over I asked how soon it would be before I could go back to the gym. 2 weeks then I can start working out anything that doesn’t require a lot of ab work. So that’s pretty exciting.

My to-do list after the class was pretty simple. I have to get a psychiatric evaluation for treatment. Something everyone has to do. So I have to see my PCM to put in a referral for me to see one.

So that pretty much wraps it up. I came home from my class and was a little scared to tell my husband I had pretty much been approved. I mean, I still feel like a failure. No matter how many times I replay my doctor’s words in my head, I feel like I’m cheating. I had to keep reminding myself, that this isn’t a new thing in my family. My family has struggled with weight issues for generations.

I’ll try to update again soon :).

No comments:

Post a Comment