Saturday, June 5, 2010

So is having lap-band cheating?

This is a question I'm sure a lot of people think of often when choosing weight loss surgery. You may even get remarks from friends and family about it being the "easy way out". So tell me, what exactly is easy about major surgery and changing your lifestyle? Well to me, not a damn thing.

I'll admit, when I first went in to talk to my doctor about weight loss surgery I felt SO guilty. It was like I was asking to cheat on an exam. I actually started to cry when I told her I felt like I was failing and I was a cheater for considering it.

Then my amazing, yes I love this doctor, explained one very simple truth to me. Not everyone is the same. That really struck a cord for me. No, not everyone is the same. People grow up differently, have different metabolisms, are taught eating habits different ways, some have medical problems, and some don't.

There are people with no obesity in their family line and people with a very long mine of obesity in their family. So when you break it down some people have more advantages over other people.

Can I lose the weight without the lap-band? Yes, is it effective? No. While I've lost weight in the past it wasn't by any means healthy. About the only healthy thing I was doing was exercising like crazy. Other than that I was eating little to no food.

So why am I having WLS? To be healthy. It will help me with portion control so I can still eat and enjoy life. Lap-band is a TOOL, just like any other tool, it's not effective unless you use it correctly.

So are people who have WLS cheating? No. You've found a medical advancement that is going to change your life, for the better, and you're ready to step up to the plate and relearn your life with food.

When someone treats you like it's cheating, remind them, not everyone is the same. And don't forget, you're doing this to become a healthier YOU. Don't let anyone try to tear you down for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment